Dr. Indira Hinduja
Dr. Indira Hinduja
Undergraduates and postgraduate teaching experience for 25 years at King Edwards Memorial Hospital (KEM Hospital) and Seth G.S. Medical Hospital and College. Examiner for M.B.B.S., M.D. for several times in Maharashtra, Goa.
Guide for M.Sc and Ph.D. in Applied Biology, University of Bombay.
Editorial Board: The National Medical Journal of India.
• Professional Experience and Training
• House Physician(June 1967 to November 1967), Department of Pediatrics, BYL Nair Charitable Hospital, Topiwala National Medical(TNM) College, Bombay.
• House Surgeon (December 1967 to May 1968), Department of Obstetrics And Gynaecology, BYL Nair Charitable Hospital, TNM College, Bombay.
• Registrar ,(June 1968 to November 1968), Department of Chest Diseases and Tuberculosis, BYL Nair Charitable Hospital, TNM College, Bombay.
• Registrar, (December 1968 to November 1969),Preventive and Social Medicine, BYL Nair Charitable Hospital, TNM College, Bombay.
• Registrar, (December 1969 to June 1972) Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, BYL Nair Charitable Hospital, TNM College, Bombay.
• Senior Registrar (June 1972 to November 1973) Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology King Edward Memorial (KEM)Hospital and Seth GS Medical College, Bombay.
• Tutor (December 1973 to March 1976) Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, KEM Hospital and Seth GS Medical College, Bombay. During this period was promoted as Assistant Professor for 9 months in leave vacancy of Assistant Professor in Department of Obst. and Gynaec of KEM Hospital & Seth GS Medical College, Bombay.
• Reader (Assistant Professor) (1st April 1976 to 20th August 1987). Department Of Obstetrics. & Gynaecology of KEM Hospital, Seth GS Medical College, Bombay.
• As a Reader In-Charge of Department of Post Partum Programme from March 1977 to March 1979. During this period organised number of female sterilisation camps all over Maharashtra, Gujarat, Goa and Madhya Pradesh. I was awarded by Bombay Municipal Corporation for excellent work in the field of Family Welfare.
• Professor ( 20th August, 1987 till 14th July, 1991) Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, KEM Hospital, Seth GS Medical College Bombay.
• HONORARY OBSTETRICIAN AND GYNAECOLOGIST (15th July 1991-till date.) Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Jaslok Hospital and Research Centre.
Research Projects Completed:
• Development of Reproductive Technologies- IVF-ET, GIFT,ZIFT,ICSI,PGD.
• Established for the first time in India the technique of In Vitro Fertilization and Embryo Transfer as a Collaborative efforts between King Edwards Memorial Hospital and Institute of Research in Reproduction (ICMR).
• These efforts resulted in a birth of India's first scientifically documented IVF baby (Test-tube baby) on 6th August 1986.
• Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer (GIFT) technique was developed successfully and India's GIFT baby was born on 4th January 1988.
• Oocyte donation programme in cases of premature ovarian failure. First baby was born on 24th Janaury, 1991.
• Cytogenetic study in couple having unexplained infertility, male infertility-Bad obstetric history.
• Human chorionic villous sampling in high risk pregnancy with history of genetic disorders in past or family history of congenital anomalies.
• Study of chromosomal anomalies in couples belonging to cases having H/O repeated fetal losses or susceptible to fetal loss. Cytogenital study was supported by Research Society of KEM Hospital.
• Induction of Ovulation.
o Administration of Clomiphene Citrates, human menopausal gonadotropin, pure follicular stimulation hormone and human chorionic gonadotropins in different combination and dose regime.
o Effect of oral contraceptives prior to ovarian stimulation its effect on follicular response to stimulation protocol.
o Influence of Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone on stimulation of multiple Follicles.
o Varying time interval of gonadotropin administration and its effect on oocyte maturation and fertilization in vitro.
• Human Oocyte.
o Ultrastructure of immature, mature, atretic, normally fertilized and abnormally fertilized oocyte.
o Correlation between steroid hormones and protein contents of follicular fluid and maturation of oocyte.
o Protein synthesis by granulosa cells surrounding oocyte and fertilizing ability of oocyte.
o Constituents of oocyte environment, study of the follicular fluid for the presence of gonadotropin, steroid hormones, glycosaminoglycans, total protein and glucose.
o Inhibin in follicular fluid and its correlation with maturation, fertilizing ability of oocyte.
o Intraovarian factors contributing follicular maturation, fertilization and atresia.
o Effect of injection of purified human follicular fluid on mice follicles.
• Male Infertility
o Ultrastructure of sperm in infertile male
o Decondensation of sperm in vitro in infertile male
o Study of fertilising potential of sperm. Hypoosmotic test, acrydine orange test, zona free hamster egg penetration with human capacited sperms.
• Cytogenetic Study of Oligospermia
• Unexplained Infertility- Immunological factors responsible of infertility by reducing fertilization potential of gametes.
• Intra Uterine Insemination of washed spermatozoa and its outcome in terms of pregnancy.
• Early Pregnancy Factor.
o Presence of early pregnancy factor in culture fluid and serum as a marker for early embryo implantation.
o Early diagnosis and prognosis of choriocarcinoma and vesicular mole by estimating early pregnancy factor in serum.
• Vitamin Carrier Protein.
o Riboflavin-carrier protein (RCP) in follicular fluid and its correlation with oocyte maturation.
o Presence RCP in fallopian tube in different phases of menstrual cycle.
• Testing of efficacy of ZK 98.299 as a synthetic progesterone antagonist.
• Micromanipulation of Gametes.
o Microfertilization by injecting a sperm in perivitalline space of oocyte ooplasm.
o Intracytoplasmic sperm injection.
o Microbiopsy of mice embryo.
o Prevention of sex linked diseases.
• Inhibin in endometrium during various phases of the ovarian cycle.
• Hypertrophy of Pituitary during different phases of menstrual cycle.
• Pituitary size and its correlation with follicular size and levels of gonadotropins and steroid hormones.
• Molecular studies on defects in human sperm. Jaslok Hospital & Research Centre.
• Genetic evaluation of male infertility (Y deletion). Jaslok Hospital & Research Centre
Ongoing Research Projects:
• Microdeletion of Y chromosomes in males (collaboration with TIFR)
• Sperm function tests and fertilization in vitro.
• Role of Centrosome in fertilizing potential of the sperm. (collaboration with IRR, ICMR).
• Receptive genes in endometrium useful for implantation. (collaboration with IRR, ICMR).
• To establish human embryonic stem (HES) cell lines without mouse embryonic fibroblast feeder layer and to identify factors secreted by MEF layer that prevents differentiation of HES cells in-vitro. National Institute for Research and Reproduction.
• Purification and characterization of human sperm adhesion molecular identified by polyclonal /monoclonal antibodies and their role in infertility.
• Factors regulating endometrial receptivity in nonhuman primate
List of Publications:
• Hinduja, I. N., Asgaokar V.S. (1969) Single dose of Chloramphenicol in treatment of Enteric Fever. Current Medical Journal., 4, 102-105.
• Hinduja, I. N., Shah S.K. (1969) Ovarian Tomours. Current Medical Journal., 4, 311-314.
• Hinduja, I. N., Thakur S.S. (1971) Septic Abortion (Criminal Abortions). Indian Journal of Obstet. and Gynaecol., 21, 251.
• Hinduja, I. N., Joglekar, S.J. (1974) The comparative study of Coagulation Mechanism in Mid-trimenster Abortions Induced by Prostaglandins and Hypertonic Saline. Indian Journal of Obstet. & Gynaec. 24, 432.
• Hinduja, I. N., Mehta, A.P. (1976) Anaerobic Infections in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Proceeding of the Third All India Congress of Medical Microbiologists, pp. 323.
Awards and Achievements
- Bombay Municipal Commissioner for excellent work in the field of family welfare in 1976.
- Felicitated by Municipal Commissioner, Dean, Seth G.S.Medical Collage and KEM hospital on the founders day in 1987.
- Mayor's award of Greater Bombay in September 1986.
- Outstanding Citizens Award by Jaycees of South Bombay on 26th September 1986.
- Young Indian Award 1987.
- Outstanding Lady Citizen of Maharashtra State Jaycee Award 1987.
- Quoted in Limca Book of Record 1990- page. 88.
- Rotary International Public Voccassional Excellence Trophy 1994 for successfully pioneering the birth of the first test tube baby.
- Bharat Nirman Award 1994 for Talented Ladies for their outstanding contribution.
- International woman's day Award (8th March 1995) by the Mayor of Bombay.