Dr. A.K. Banerji
Dr. A.K. Banerji
Dr. A. K. Banerji is a legend in the field of Neurosurgery in India. He is credited with establishing microneurosurgery in India, standardizing neurosurgical training and evaluation in the country and contributing to the development of various neurosurgical sub-specialities. He systematically developed aneurysm surgery, peripheral nerve surgery, transphenoidal surgery, surgery for pineal region tumors among other pioneering interventions.
Prof. Banerji joined All India Institute of Medical Sciences in 1965 and was instrumental in setting up the Neurosurgery Department from scratch. He went on to become the chief of Neurosciences Centre at AIIMS in 1988 and held that position until his retirement in 1995. Dr. A. K. Banerji has the rare distinction of being bestowed as Emeritus Professor at AIIMS, Delhi for his contriubtionns and dedication to the field of Neurosurgery. After his successful stint in AIIMS, he launched VIMHANS (Vidyasagar Institute of Medical Sciences), New Delhi, which was one of the country’s first mental health and neurosciences center in the private sector. Dr. Banerji worked as the Director of VIMHANS until 2007 when he joined Apollo hospital in 2007 and continues to be an Emeritus Consultant at the hospital. He has the rare distinction of having two orations named after him.
Fellowships and Memberships
- Indian Medical Association
- Delhi Neurological Association
- Neuroscientists Association of Eastern Indian
- Past President of Neurological society of India
- Past President of Indian Society of Pediatric Neurosurgery
- Past President of Neurotrauma Society of India
- Past President of Skull Base Surgery Society of India
- Past President of Indian Society of Cerebro- vascular Surgery
Awards and Achievements
- Established Neuro Surgery Center AIIMS, New Delhi.
- Established VIMHANS, New Delhi.
- Past president of Neuro Society of India, Neuro trauma society of India. Indian society of Pediatric Neuro Surgery, Indian society of Cereluo-Vancouver Surgery, Skill base Surgery society of India.
- Professor Emeritus All India institute of Medical Surgery.