Dr. Vijay Kohli
Dr. Vijay Kohli
Dr Kohli is an outstanding cardiovascular surgeon, with wide and varied clinical experience and expertise in different aspects of cardiovascular and thoracic surgery. During his long career he has worked with renowned cardiac experts. He has worked in the field of heart failure with Professor Randas Batista in Brazil and Professor Hertzer at Berlin Heart Institute, Germany. He has worked with Professor George Wieselthaler at Vienna General Hospital, Austria on implantation of various VADs (Ventricular Assist Devices) and heart transplantation and management of heart failure patients. He has also had the opportunity to work with Professor Vincent Dor on the outcome of Dor's procedure for ventricular aneurysm repairs and with Prof Antonio Calafiore Chieti, Italy on the principal of septal exclusion technique and repair of mitral valve in remodeling of the ventricular anatomy.
Dr Kohli was the first surgeon to perform coronary artery bypass in Jammu Medical College in 2001. He is also the first surgeon to have performed coronary artery bypass on a beating heart in Kathmandu, Nepal in 2002. He has till date conducted over 10,000 cardiac surgeries and has over 150 scientific publications at national & international level to his credit. He also provides free OPDs in Jammu for poor & the underprivileged. Dr Kohli has received many awards for his distinguished services and has held various prestigious positions at national & international level.
Fellowships and Memberships
- International Society of Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- American Association of Thoracic Surgeons
- American Heart Association
- Asian Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons
- Cardiological Society of India
- IACTS (Indian Association of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons)
- Vascular Society of India
- EP Society of India
Awards and Achievements
- Cardiologist Society of India Gold medal for best scientific publications- 2001
- Distinguished Services Award for starting the cardiac surgery programme in Jammu Medical College in the year 2001.
- For contribution to cardiovascular surgery in Jammu & Kashmir- 2001
- Medal from the President of India Distinguished Service Award in Cardiac Surgery 2002
- Achievment Award for starting the cardiac surgery programme in Norvic Hospital in the year 2002.
- For contribution & starting cardiac vascular in Norvic Hospital Kathmandu, Nepal- 2002
- Medanta -The MedicitySenior Director, Cardiac Surgery Since 2009
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New DelhiSenior Consultant, Cardiovascular Surgery 2007 – 2009
- Escort Heart Institute & Research Center, Director of Cardiac Surgery, Principal Consultant 2002 – 2005, Senior consultant 1997 – 2002, Consultant 1995 -1997
- St Luke's & Roosevelt Hospital Medical Center, New York, USA, Post Doctoral Fellow - Division of Cardiac Surgery & Cardiovascular Science Senior Research Associate, 1993 – 1995,
- Division of Cardiac Surgery & Cardiovascular Science1993 - 1995
- King Fahad Hospital, Albaha, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Senior Specialist, Cardiovascular Surgery 1992 - 1993
- Escort Heart Institute & Research Center, New Delhi, India Attending Cardiac Surgeon 1990 - 1992
- Government Medical College & SMGS Hospital, JammuLecturer and Senior Registrar, General Surgery 1986 - 1988