Dr. Narmada Prasad Gupta
Dr. Narmada Prasad Gupta
Dr. N.P. Gupta is Chairman, Academics and Research Division Urology. After doing specialization in Urology, he joined All India Institute of Medical sciences (AIIMS) as faculty in 1979 and rose to the position of Professor and Head of Department (1998-2010). During his distinguished career of 40 years in the field of Urology, Dr Gupta contributed immensely to the growth of the sciences of Urology both at National and International Level. He has published over 300 articles & papers in various national and International journals, has written 6 books on Urology; contributed chapters in 9, produced 18 teaching video films and trained over 110 M.Ch. and Post graduates. He has performed more than 20,000 operations for various urological diseases. He is a pioneer and renowned surgeon who started robotic surgery in Urology in 2006 at AIIMS and today has performed the largest number of robotic surgeries in India in his specialty. He was President of Urological Society of India (2007) and Asia (2008-10) and National Delegate and Board Member of Socitete Internationale D’ Urologie (2004-06). He has received several National and International Awards namely, Padamshree by Government of India (2007), Dr. B. C. Roy National Award by Medical Council of India (2005).
- Senior Resident, Department of Urology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
- Urologist in Shah Ismail Hospital Ardebil, Iran
- Lecturer in Urology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
- Assistant Professor of Urology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
- Visiting Urologist, Katharinen Hospital, Stuttgart, West Germany
- Associate Professor of Urology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
- Additional Professor of Urology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
- Professor of Urology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
- Professor & Head, Department of Urology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
- Chairman, Academics and Research Division Urology Medanta Institute of Kidney and Urology ,Medanta – The Medicity
Fellowships and Memberships
- Past President, Urological Association of Asia
- Past President , Urological Society of India
- Life member, Societe Internationale D’Urologie, National Delegate, Indian Section SIU 1994 – 2000, BOC Member 2004 – 2006
- Life Member, Association of Surgeons of India
- Life Member, Urological Society of India
- Life Member, Geriatric Society of India
- Life Member, Urolithiasis Society of India
- Life Member, Indian Medical Association
- Life Member, Indian Society of Organ Transplantation
- Life Member, Indian Society of Oncology
- Life Member, Indian Endoscopy Society
- Life Member, Indian Association of Laser Surgery
- International Member, American Urological Association
- Member, Society of Endourology and SWL
Awards and Achievements
- Padmashree" by Govt. of India
- Dr. B.C.Roy National Award for Eminent Medical Teacher
- Fellow Academy of Medical Sciences (FAMS)
- Urology Gold Medal – Urological Society of India
- Doctor of Science (D.Sc) – Rani Durgawati Vishwa Vidyalaya, Jabalpur
- Ranbaxy Research Award – Clinical Sciences
- UICC ICCRT fellowship for Robotic Surgery in Urology
- Urology Gold Medal, USI
- Dr. B.N. Oration of the Society of Surgeons of Nepal
- President's Gold Medal, Urological Society of India
- Col. Sangham Lal Memorial Oration, Academy of Medical Sciences
- Dr SK Sen Memorial Oration, Delhi state chapter, ASI
- Distinguished Teacher’s Award, IKDRC, Ahmedabad
- Life Time Achievement Award , North Zone Chapter, USI
- Dr. Himadari Sarkar Memorial Oration - USI
- Golden Jubilee oration and Gold Medal, Delhi chapter, ASI
- Award of eminent men for distinguished achievement of highest order, IMA
- Dr. Pinnamaneni Venkateswara Rao Endowment Lecture Award and Gold Medal in the field
- of Urology by Urological Society of India
- International Scholarship, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio
- D.K. Roy Chowdhary Oration Award IMA, South Delhi Branch
- Certificate of Commendation for Excellence in the field of Urology by USI
- 'All About Prostate Gland’, an ebook by Dr. NP Gupta
- Gupta NP, Malaviya AN, Singh SM. Rheumatoid factor in urinary bladder tumours. J. Urology 120, 196-197, 1978.
- Gupta NP, Kochar GS, Wadhwa SN, Singh SM. The management of patients with renal and ureteric calculi presenting with chronic renal insufficiency. Br. J. Urol. 57: 1985.
- Gupta NP, Mohanty NK, Ready PS, Wadhwa SN, Singh SM. A high risk factor score in management of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. Brit J. Urol. 58: 296-298, 1986.
- Gupta NP Ansari MS, Aron M, Mandal S.Y-duplication of urethra with complete atresia of the orthotopic channel. I-stage reconstruction. J.Urol, 2000:163:949-950.
- Gupta NP, Singh D.V, Hemal A.K, and Mandal S: “Infundibulopelvic Anatomy and clearance of Inferior Calyceal Calculi with Shock wave lithotripsy” J. Urol.2000:163:24-27.
- Gupta NP, Doddamani D, Hemal A K, Aron M: Prospective randomized comparison of Transurethral Resection of Prostate Using vapor resection (Wedge TM) Loop and Standard Loop in Prostates larger than 40 CC; Ind.J.Urol.18 No.(1), 45-48,2001.
- Gupta NP, Ansari MS, Kesarvani P, Kapoor A, Mukhopadhyay S. Role of computed tomography with no contrast medium enhancement in predicting the outcome of extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy for urinary calculi. BJU Int. 2005 Jun;95(9):1285-8.
- Gupta NP, Goel R, Hemal AK, Dogra PN, Seth A, Aron M, Kumar R, Ansari MS. Radical cystectomy in septuagenarian patients with bladder cancer.Int Urol Nephrol. 2004;36(3):353-8.
- Gupta NP, Kumar R, Mundada OP, Aron M, Hemal AK, Dogra PN, Seth A. Reconstructive surgery for the management of genitourinary tuberculosis: a single center experience. J Urol. 2006;175(6):2150-4; discussion 2154.
- Gupta NP, Kumar R, Yadav R. Safety of holmium laser prostatectomy in patients with cardiac pacemaker implant. Ind J Urol 2006;22(1):46-48