Dr. Abhaya Kumar
Dr. Abhaya Kumar
Fellowships and Memberships
Minimal Invasive Spine surgery and Stereotactic Radiosurgery in United Kingdom
Awards and Achievements
Dr. Abhaya Kumar has operated over 2500 cases in the last 8 years at KDAH. Of these 1400 have been Spine cases and 1100 are brain cases.
His forte is Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery. He has done more than 800 Minimal Invasive spine cases in last 8 years with a success rate of 96%. Conversion to open surgery was needed in only 2% of cases. Minimal Invasive spine procedures done include:
- Minimally Invasive Lumbar Microdiscectomy & Lumbar Micro Decompression.
- Transforaminal Endoscopic Lumbar Microdiscectomy
- Minimally Invasive Lumbar TLIF
- Cervical Microforaminotomy
- Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
- Vertebroplasty / Kyphoplasty
Kokilaben Hospital is one of only two centres in Mumbai offering full-fledged Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery services. He has successfully treated more than 120 cases of Craniovertebral Junction anomalies. He has operated on around 600 cases of Brain Tumours and over 150 cases of Spinal Cord Tumours, regularly using Intraoperative MRI (IMRIS), Neuro navigation, Stereotaxy and Neuroendoscopy His success rate for brain tumours is 90% with residual tumour in only 10% of patients. This is comparable with international benchmarks. The overall complication rate is 3%-5% (Benchmark 5%-8%)
He has also treated successfully more than 150 cases of Refractory Trigeminal Neuralgiawith a success rate of 98%.
The three main surgical treatments for Trigeminal Neuralgia, which are offered at Kokilaben Hospital are:
- Microvascular Decompression of the Trigeminal Nerve
- Radiofrequency Ablation of the Trigeminal Nerve
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery for Trigeminal Neuralgia