Dr. Raju Vaishya
Dr. Raju Vaishya
During my present job, I have focused my practice to the field of Total Joint Replacement & Arthroscopic Surgery of Joints. I have been actively involved in the management of chronic arthritics by primary & revision joint replacements of knees, hips, elbow, finer joints & shoulder etc. I have been regularly doing all types of hip replacements (cemented, uncemented, hybrid, bipolar, surface & revision) & knee replacements (unicondylar, fixed bearing mobile bearing total condylar, revision knees). Recently, I have started a project using Patient Specific Instrumentation (PSI) in TKA & have completed a randomized double blind controlled study on multimodal analgesia for pain relief in TKA. I have the credit of doing the first arthroscopic assisted inter positional arthroplasty using Orthoglide implant & also doing the preplan PSI total knee arthroplasty, in Northern India in May 2013.
Arthroscopic surgery of knee, shoulder, elbow, & ankle joints is also my area of special interest. Incidentally, I am one of the pioneers to introduce arthroscopic shoulder surgery, in India. In Knee arthroscopy, I have been doing all variety of surgery like, meniscal excision, ligament reconstructions, patellar realignment, arthrolysis etc. I have the largest published series on Fracture neck radius in children, Irritable hips, Megaprosthesis for resistant non union of distal femur, Galeazzi variants in adults, and Acacia thorn injuries.
I have been regularly invited to chair/moderate sessions, conduct workshops, & to give guest lectures in various national conferences of repute on various aspects of total joint replacement & arthroscopic surgery.
My recent interest is in the area of Cartilage regeneration & restoration techniques like Autologus Chondrocyte Implantation etc. I have established a centre for ACI at our hospital.
I was invited as a faculty member for the UK Cartilage club meeting in London in Nov 2012 (the only person from Indian subcontinent)
Pioneer in starting the personalized knee surgery plan for doing total knee arthroplasty in India using patient specific instruments.
I am running a very successful fellowship training program for Orthopaedic Surgeons, with the help of M/S Stryker India. So far more than 70 Orthopaedic Surgeons from within India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Africa & Iraq have been trained under my guidance at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital for Stryker Joint Replacement Fellowship program & I have also trained more than 200 Indian Orthopaedic Surgeon.
I was part of the prestigious AO Basic Course as a faculty member, at Ludhiana, where I was involved in training 108 Orthopaedic Surgeon about the fracture management.
Fellowships and Memberships
- Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCSE)
- SICOT (No 17484)
- Indian Orthopedic Association (IOA)
- Indian Medical Association (IMA)
- Indian Arthroscopy Society of India (IAS)
- Indian Cartilage Society (ICS)
- Global Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (GAPIO)
- Int. Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surg & Ortho Sports Medicine (ISAKOS)
- Indian Arthroplasty Association (IAA)
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of India (POSI)
- Indian Federation of Sports Medicine (IFSM)
- Association of British Scholars (ABS)
- IOA (MP Chapter)
- Delhi Medical Association (DMA)
- Delhi Orthopaedic Association (DOA)
- South Delhi Orthopaedic Society (SDOS)
- Delhi Medical Council (DMC)
- Nepal Medical Council (NMC)
- Bangladesh Orthopaedic Society (BOS)
- India Habitat Centre, N Delhi (IHC)
- India Islamic Cultural Centre, New Delhi (IICC)
Awards and Achievements
- Our project of “rescue operation of the victims of Nepal earthquake of 2015” was awarded as the best community service project amongst all the hospitals, 2016.
- AHERF nominated 20 of our papers for best paper publications award in 2015 in Apollo group of hospitals
- AHERF awarded me a special prize for highest number of 27 manuscripts submitted for best paper publication award in 2015.
- Created a new national record for doing "ACL reconstruction on oldest man" & this has been accepted in Limca & India Book of Records for 2015.
- Appointed as Adjunct Professor of Apollo Hospitals for Educational and Research Foundation (AHERF)(2012-13, 2013-14)
- Appointed as Visiting Professor of Orthopaedics in Basra Medical School, Iraq. Dec 2012
- Appointed as Visiting Professor of Orthopaedics in National Institute of Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation (NITOR), Dhaka, Bangladesh. March 2012
- Appointed as Visiting Professor of Orthopaedics in Chitwan School of Medical Sciences, Bharatpur, Nepal. Jan 2012
- Awarded honorary life membership of Bangladesh Orthopaedic Society. 2012
- Appointed as a member of Clinical Advisory Group Meeting of Apollo hospitals, since 2015
- Got the honor of doing a bilateral Total Knee Replacement in a 93 years old gentleman & created a world record (published in Limca book of Records, Jan 2012)
- Got the honor of doing a bilateral Total Knee Replacement in the oldest couple in a single sitting & created a world record (published in Limca Book of Records, 2013)
- Got the honor of doing a bilateral Total Knee Replacement in the oldest couple in a single sitting & created a national record (published in India Book of Records, 2013)
- Invited faculty at the prestigious 2nd UK Cartilage club meeting. Chatham, Kent, UK. Nov 2012
- Academic Achievement Awards for best paper publications in Apollo Group of Hospitals, 2011
- Received distinguished service award from the Geriatric Society of India, 2010.
- Appointed on the advisory board of Indian Journal of Geriatric Care (IJGC)
- Awarded “Medata ratna” by Agarwal Medata Panchayat, Gwalior, for outstanding achievement in profession & social service. Nov 2011
- Selected for the IOA-UK fellowship for 2011
- Awarded the “Best paper publication award 2009” of Delhi Orthopaedic Association
- Academic Achievement Awards for Best paper publications in Apollo Group of Hospitals, 2010
- Received a “Distinguished Service Award 2010” by Geriatric Society of India, New Delhi 2010 at 7th International Congress on Geriatric Care.
- Honored by IMA, Gwalior through a Citation Award for outstanding services to the society on Doctor’s day, 1st July 2010.
- Dedication of a book (to me) titled “Diversity: A Challenge to Indian Administration” by Prof (Dr) Niru Hazarika. Feb 2010
- 3 Academic Achievement Awards for Best paper publications in Apollo Group of Hospitals, 2009
- ‘Doctor of the Year’. Awarded by Delhi Medical Association, 2009.
- ‘Best Doctor of the Year’ Awarded by Gwalior Vikas Samiti in their 31st Top Ten Persons of the Year Award, at Gwalior on 26th Jan 2008.
- Elected to Executive Member of South Delhi Branch of IMA, New Delhi in 2008.
- Highest Income Tax payee award (in Professional category) of Government of India from 1994-95 to 1998-99, in Gwalior Division.
- Outstanding Young Person of Gwalior- Awarded by Junior Chamber, 1996.
- Professor’s gold medal for the best research at Oswestry, University of Birmingham, UK (1989).
- President of ‘Arthritis Care Foundation’ of India.
- Secretary of ‘Forum for Rationale Scientific Temperament (FIRST)’.
- Has been regular voluntary blood donor for last 15 years & have donated blood more than 60 times, so far
- Elected Executive Member of South Delhi IMA branch, 2011
- Elected Joint Secretary of Consultant’s forum, Apollo Hospital, N Delhi,2011-12
- Elected Member of Ethical Committee of Apollo Hospital, N Delhi,2011-12
- Guest editor of a special issue on “chondros” of Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics and Trauma (July 2016).
- Elected as a Member Editorial Board of the reputed Indian Journal of Orthopaedics (2015-18)
- Elected as the Editor of Journal of Clinical Orthopaedic And Trauma (2015-18)
- Section editor (Orthopaedics), Apollo Medicine journal, since 2015
- Elected as a Member Editorial Board of the reputed Asian Journal of Arthroscopy (2016)
- I have more than 175 publications to my credit, in peer reviewed and indexed medical journals
- We have made a record by publishing 58 articles in one year alone (2015).
- On Research Gate, my RG score is 36.94 which is >95% percentile of all the research gate members (>8 million), and my publications have 252 citations.
- On Google Scholar, I have 370 citations, with h-index of 9 and i10-index of 8.
- My 2 papers were featured in the Science direct top 25 articles with 1st rank, in 2014 and 2015.
- Awarded the honorary fellowship (FRCS Eng) by the Royal College of Surgeons of England (London), July 2012.
- Numerous publications in international journals on various orthopedic subjects like hip and knee arthroplasty, sports medicine and arthroscopy, paediatric orthopaedics, trauma & general orthopaedics (including the original research).
- Bagged record no of 21 awards for the best paper publications of Apollo group. The selection committee also gave a special appreciation award for submitting highest number of 29 published papers for recognition in one year (2014-15).
- Bagged record no of 8 awards for the best paper publications of Apollo group. The selection committee also gave a special appreciation award for submitting highest number of 20 published papers for recognition in one year (2013-14).
- Has been a clinical teacher and thesis guide for postgraduate students of Diplomat of National Board of India (Orthopaedics) for the last seven years.
- Recognized PG teacher and examiner of Diplomate of National Board (DNB ) for Orthopaedic Surgery
- Supervisor for the AHERF fellowship (Ortho) in Joint Replacement Surgery.
- Has been the academic coordinator of the Department of Orthopaedics at Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi from 2011-15.
- Had been the clinical coordinator of the Department of Orthopaedics at Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi from 2009-11.
- Completed Post Graduate Diploma in Hospital Administration (PG DHA) from Apollo Med varsity, Dec 2012.
- Have been appointed a member of Indraprastha Apollo Research Club.
- Awarded the “Best paper publication award 2012, 2011 & 2009” of Delhi Orthopaedic Association
- Have been a reviewer for many reputed international journals like Lancet, British Medical Journal, Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery (Br), Indian Journal of Orthopaedics, Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research, JIMA, Apollo Medicine, OMICS Group - Medical Journals.
- Selected for the IOA-UK fellowship for 2011.
- Have presented several academic lectures at various National & International conferences, in CME programs.
- Had been an Editorial Board member of Indian Journal of Orthopaedics & Acta Orthopaedica Belgica.
- Nominated as an editorial board member of BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, Journal of Pain Management & Medicine, Apollo Medicine & World Journal of Orthopaedics.
- Has been appointed as the national secretary of Indian Cartilage Society for 2013-17.
- Has been nominated in Clinical Advisory Group of Apollo Hospitals.
- Had been the editor of Apollo Journal of Medicine (Apollo Medicine. Vol 6, No 1, March 2009)
- Presented a talk on ‘choice of bearings for high risk hip dislocators, in a national webcast from Mumbai in AAOS 2016 highlights program. About 2000 Orthopaedic surgeons participated in this program live from 60 centers across India.